Thursday, November 19, 2009

My last post was an I-Spy activity ---
Thank you to all those who commented.
We are going to look at this living room and talk about what things made the difference in the BEFORE and AFTER

BEFORE


AFTER
1. The furniture was rearranged
so the room is more balanced on each side
2. We edited out a number of items --
less is more usally always works
3.You now notice these beautiful tables
the homeowner's husband and father-in-law made them-- in fact there used to be 4 in the room
4. We created a "unit" on the wall behind the couch.
She did paint the mirror frame black and we hung it horizontal
5. We added a lamp --
it came from the little boy's room and it does make the room feel more cozy
6. Notice on the table with the lamp
we have three items and they are different heights---lamp framed picture and plant
7. We centered the hutch on the long wall to create a focal point.
8. Of course the Rug is a wonderful addition
It came from the garage, the homeowner would have loved using it in the past but on the top 1/4 of the rug was a large embroidered tag labeled SAMPLE --- we just pushed that part under the couch and ta da! ... like magic the rug anchors the furniture and adds just the right colors to the room


BEFORE



9. We pulled the furniture closer
so that you have a nice conversation area
10.We added a green throw blanket on the chair
which ties in nicely with the colors in the room.
11. The side table has a plant and some books


All of these changes were done with just what she had in her home.
Isn't that fantastic!

You can do an I-Spy at your house too, just take these simple ideas and YOUR stuff and see what you can create.


Of course I would love for you to e-mail me before and after shots!

I am joining in Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage.



5 Comments:

  1. Dena Pickle said...
    Thaanks for shatring! that was fun and the room does look much more open and inviting.

    Dena
    KimMalk said...
    @Cheap Chic Home. Much cozier looking. It's always amazing how changing things around improves a room.
    Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...
    Love your blog! I like to redesign too. Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving nice compliments on my blog. I love curtains hung high and to the ceiling but I do struggle with that space above the window and rod, especially when it is a long space. Just have to retrain the eyes and realize it looks right after years of hanging window treatments right above the window facing. Have a great weekend!
    Lindy D. said...
    Don't forget the great job you did rearranging the items in the hutch. Love the green glass together.

    You blog is such an education. I really appreciate that you use things that people own and that have sentimental value.
    Melissa said...
    That was very educational, thank you! This reminds me of a problem that I'm having regarding paint color choice. I am wanting to paint my walls that nice tan and my kitchen cabinets white. I'm thinking of a black countertop. My problem is that I love, love, love the white woodwork and my husband refuses to let me paint our stained decorative woodwork. In my mind, the whole thing won't work unless the woodwork is painted white. Am I right and if so, what other colors would you suggest? Thank you so much and thank you for your wonderful blog!
    Lissamom2@aol.com

Post a Comment