Thursday, October 8, 2009

Redecorate your Fireplace Mantle

This is the time of year when many of us will be nestling up to the fireplace, what a great time to rethink the arrangement on the mantle.

What I love about this arrangement is the round elements.
The fireplace is rectangular as well as the mantle and often what we put above it is also angular. Adding the round clock and the ornamental iron ball gives it a nice change.
Also notice the:
Groupings
Natural Elements
Lighting

This mantle groups four similar frames a metal car as well as greenery --- together this group makes a balanced unit above the fireplace.


BEFORE
The picture above the mantle is not quite large enough to create the right balance.


AFTER
We added the larger black sign that says Family-- it has more visual weight, then grouped a couple of other framed pieces with the original one, we propped them together on the mantle.

The black pot with flowers adds weight and height to the group.


Overall we made a more balanced unit above the fireplace, and it feels right.


Now go and cozy up in front of the fire!!

I am joining Julia at Hooked on Friday's and Melissa'a Beautiful Life. Also go and check out homedigz for some home inspirations

10 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Great post! I do have the hardest time trying to get my mantle to look good!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)
    Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...
    In the desert, although some people do have fireplaces,we don't. It's just tooooooo hot to ever build a fire, but I love the look a beautiful mantel gives to a room. Yours is stunning. Love it. Hugs, Marty
    Bonnie said...
    Really nice, Anglea. Don't you love it when you see a nice mantle where things are in scale and interesting. I see so many that just have a bunch of tiny stuff or family 5x7's all the way across. Ho hum. Nice to see some eye candy up there. Make it a great weekend!

    P.S. Sure would love to go to Taipan about now. It must be looking fantastic.

    Their Christmas is essential to my survival. We are coming for Thanksgiving and I will definitely get over there!
    Susan @ Your home, only better. said...
    I LOVE the 2nd one the best. We don't have a lot of height over our fireplace, and that works great!

    I always struggle w/mantel arrangements for some reason!

    Thanks for the great post!

    Susan
    Signing Out said...
    Great post! Your mantel looks terrific!

    Jane
    niartist said...
    Your mantle looks fantastic! Great job! I'm hosting a giveaway at my blog of genuine Cross Bottles valued at $175. It ends Monday, so hurry over. I think you'll love them! They'll look great on your mantle, too!
    Lindy D. said...
    Love the transformation in the third room. You are so good!

    If you are looking for ideas for future post, I am really struggling with what to put on the wall over a double bed. Any rules of thumb?
    Pallet said...
    Love mantle on fireplace. Looks good. Nice post!
    Crone's Custom Woodworking said...
    I don't think the effect of round and oval frames can overstated. Very nice and different look. Love the Blog!

    Mike in Missouri

    http://www.cronescustomwoodworking.com
    Anonymous said...
    Amiable brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Post a Comment