Thursday, July 30, 2009

My Mother-in-law just moved into a new place and was really excited to decorate it in a "Cottage Victorian" feel.
She has had all of her china collections in storage for a long time, so in this redesign we added alot of her favorite pieces.



I am notorious for getting started on a room and forgetting to take the before pictures!
(Actually I am so excited to get going---I just get going!)
Originally this space was white and we added a soft gold on the wall. I started rearranging the furniture and then took the photos --- so most of the furniture is already placed. But you will get the idea about how accessories can really change the feel.

In the AFTER you can see how the curtains really soften the space (there are some lace fringe curtains in between the panels) The tablecloth with fringe, the pillow and throw on the chairs really add the Fabric element.
In the corner is a large protruding air conditioning and heating unit. We placed a green plant on it hoping that it will not be as noticeable.
You know I love lamps . . . and hers really reflect her style.

BEFORE



AFTER

Under the clock is a padded chest, (ideally this would be a great spot for a small settee)
But since we are decorating this space with what we have already, we covered it and added a couple of pillows. . . and I think it works!
(Notice her little yorkie taking a nap.)



A shelf in a grouping on the wall, with a few hanging items makes for a great "unit".
We added a few items that she loved and it really brought her personality to the space.


BEFORE the little china hutch was full of all kinds of items.



Don't these lamps add to the personality of the room?
(Yes---the cord on the swan lamp is very distracting, I fixed it after I took the photo!)



We chose just a few items to display in the hutch and now
you notice what is there.
I love the pitcher and water basin.


BEFORE


AFTER
The two chairs with a round table make for a nice conversation area.
We made a small grouping on the wall of a teapot and a couple of teacups, along with a family picture.
She was thrilled with the results, and now has a room that really reflects her personality.

Make your space out of things you love and things that are useful!



5 Comments:

  1. Bonnie said...
    This is cute! I did a place similar to this for a friend's mom not long ago. She had very similar taste. I am like you, I always forget the before photos too. Just the adrenaline rush makes me forget every time. Now my assistants remind me. Good job!
    Atticmag said...
    How charming. She can look around and see so many items that are special to her. Love the table with the teapot and photo. Really says "home" to me. And her yorkie is toooo sweet! Jane T.
    Terry said...
    Thanks. I like how personal it looks. Not a generic design for a magazine but for a human.
    Decor To Adore said...
    I am visiting via Hooked on Houses. What a cozy home for her!

    Please drop by and enter my giveaway.

    Have a blessed weekend!
    Unknown said...
    Terrific redo results.

Post a Comment